Robert Green married
Eleanor Dunn, a Scotch lady. He lived for a time in King George Co. VA.,
then Orange Co. (now Culpeper Co) VA.
Robert Green was the son of William Green and his wife, Eleanor Duff. It has been said that William Green was an officer in the body guard of William III Prince of Orange. A roster of that troop shows his name under title "Yeoman".
Robert Green 1695-1747/48 emigrated to Virginia in 1712. He is descended from Green's Norton in Northampton Co. England. He came to Virginia when he was 17 years old with his uncle, Sir Wm. Duff of Scotland. They settled on the James River. In 1732 Robert received a patent for 120,000 acres along with his uncle and Joist Hite and Robert Mc Kay. (This may later be Kay as Duff was Mc Duff and the Mc seems to have been dropped). His uncle returned to Scotland, leaving Robert Green in charge of their joint venture. The uncle died without children and Robert inherited his uncles interest in Virginia. His possessions were among the largest of early Virginia grants. They were primarily in Prince William, Augusta, Orange, Westmoreland and King George Counties of Virginia. His children lived in Culpeper Co and later of Owen and Scott Co. etc., Kentucky
Robert and Eleanor Green were the parents of 7 sons who were over 6 feet tall having red hair and beards. This family was known as the "Red Greens" to distinguish them from other families of the same name with different characteristics.
1. William Green m. Miss. Coleman He lived and died in Culpeper Co. VA
2. Robert Green m. Patty Ball of Northumberland Co. VA. He died in Culpeper Co. VA
3. Duff Green m. 1st Miss. Barbour or Miss Thomas, 2nd Ann Willis
4. John Green m. Susannh Blackwell (many of his children went to Owen and Scott Co. KY).
5. Nicholas Green m. Elizabeth Price, daughter of Arjalon Price and his wife, Joyce Barbour of St. Marks Parish, Orange Co. VA. ( Joyce Barbour was the daughter of Capt William Barbour of Farnham Parish and JP of Richmond Co. VA in 1692, and his wife, Joyce Bayley, daughter of Samuel Bayley of Farnham Parish in Richmond Co. VA).
6. James Green m. Elizabeth Jones (several of their children went to KY.)
7. Moses Green m. Miss Blackwell, (sister of Susannah Blackwell).
1778 Rent Roll - Hamilton Parish Fauquier Co. Virginia
All Rights Reserved