The Shirley Association has been a member of the Guild of One-Name Studies since 1988
  Neavill

Surname  

 

 

 

   
 

George Neavill born about 1695 Isle of Wight Co. VA. married Mary Gibbs June 20, 1729. George died in 1774. He had nine children.

The exact date of the establishment of Neavill's Ordinary is not known, but the first license for George Neavill to keep on Ordinary at his home in Auburn was issued before 1759 by the Fauquier Court. It was located at the cross roads of Falmouth, Dumfries and the Carolina, known as the "Rouge's Road" and the "Shenandoah Hunting Path." Douglas Freeman the historian said, "Already a land owner of station, Neavill was a speculator and planter..."  George Neavill's wife took a license in her name after his death in 1774.

Neavill's Ordianry then was managed by Mary Neavill with the help of her son-in-law, Ambrose Barnett, who had married Judith Neavill, Mary's youngest daughter. Ambrose Barnett, a patriot during the Revolutionary War, maintained the ordinary until 1792 and other Barnetts continued the business until 1825.  The historic building stood until 1926. It is historically preserved in General George Washington's Journal under the date of Mary 1748: "Traveled this day forty miles to Mr. George Neavill's in Prince William County."

From 1771-1774:   John and Elizabeth Shirley's 150 acres was adjacent to Neavill's Ordinary. they were neighbors!         

NOTE:  We visited this location June of 1991 with a group of Shirleys who attended the Shirley Convention.   

 

 

   


Home Page | Contact Betty Shirley

copyright Betty Shirley, Shirley Association
All Rights Reserved